Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pick 'em up!

My outreach for the past week was when I saw 2 Mexican men carrying a ton of groceries. I stopped and asked them in Spanish if they wanted a ride and they happily accepted. I told them that I worked at the library, explained what it is and invited them to come in. I also asked them to let others in the Latino community know that se habla espaƱol at Flathead County Library. I gave them my work phone number and told them to call if they needed anything. They were very appreciative and we'll see...

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Brett,

Nothing like the personal touch! What a great opportunity to promote the library and its very kind staff. You've definitely made two friends for FPL. I hope they contact you again.

Do you think Kim would let you start a regular transportation service? After you gave the lift, you could check out a few books to each passenger -- sort of a bookmobile taxi! Being able to tie the library directly to the needs of these perspective patrons is outreach at its best.

Anonymous said...

I am told and see every day that ... one on one, face to face is the best form of outreach there is.

We represent our libraries both outside and inside the facility, on and off the clock. If you are out and about in the community and see a quick opportunity to promote a library service... Do it, especially to non-users because you won't be able to catch them at the library.

Can you think of other outreach activies outside the library that might garner you some new library supporters (patrons)?